Thursday, March 6, 2008

Telling time and counting money

My 6 yr old is learning to count money and to tell time. She is enrolled with Idaho Virtual Academy which uses a curriculum called K12. It is technically a public school. They sent us all of the workbooks and teacher guides, math manipulatives, a blow up globe and cd of songs for history, and tons of books. I have access to a teacher when I have problems. She sets up phone meetings or email meetings every other week and is always available to talk when I need. My kids have access to plenty of social activities with other homeschooled kids (which I don't take a lot of advantage of yet because my kids are so young.)

I feel so blessed to have this available to me. There are a lot of talented Moms out there who choose their curriculum from many different sources and I admire them tremendously for their knowledge. But for me, at this time, I love this. I absolutely know that homeschooling my kids is the thing I am supposed to be doing right now. And I'm so glad for the many, many resources out there for homeschooling families. It is a privilege to be among them, it is a joy to be with my kids, teaching them and it is a blessing that I can be home and take advantage of that by homeschooling. It is an amazing thing to watch them learn. I look forward to the times when I can let them explore their interests and learn with them. I pray the Lord will guide us as we endeavor to do what is right and we strive to fill our home with love, laughter and learning.

A lot of the links at the bottom of this page belong to Moms of other homeschooling families. I have learned so very much from these ladies and have been so impressed with their knowledge as well as their love for their families and for the Lord. I am so grateful for their influence in my life. They give me strength, guidance and confidence. They have answered many questions for me and never once have they made me feel inferior for my ignorance. They have taught me how to use the scriptures and Gospel teachings in my everyday life so that my children are given a strong, firm foundation on which to build their lives. They have shown me their flaws so that I might more easily forgive my own.

Most importantly, they have helped me to understand that I need to follow the quiet whisperings of the Spirit and shut out the noise of the world. When the world wants me to view my children as nuisances, intolerable to be around, the Spirit whispers that they are jewels, each second spent with them is to be treasured. When the world wants me to 'wean' my little ones from my influence, the Spirit whispers that my influence on my children is more important now than ever. When the world shouts that I am more than just a Mom, the Spirit whispers there is nothing better than being a Mom. And when the world says, you aren't qualified to teach your children and must let others do it, the Spirit gently whispers, With God You Can Do ANYTHING.

No comments: